September 22nd – 28th was Fall Prevention Awareness Week and the Parkinson’s Association of San Diego wants your family to feel empowered to prevent falls. By following these simple steps you can make your home safer and radically decrease your chances of falling.
- Remove throw rugs and secure carpet edges
- Gather cords and tape to wall
- Don’t wax the floors
- Remove clutter from steps & pathways
- Keep frequently used items within reach
- – Example: Phone on the bedside table
- Use non-slip mat in tub; non-slip rug near tub
- Use grab bars in shower and bathroom
- Good lighting around stairs, outdoors, etc.
- – Regularly check your vision for changes in acuity, or the onset of cataracts and glaucoma
- Install handrails and fix uneven steps
Try to keep an eye out for additional ways to improve and reorganize your current home. Sometimes the most effective improvements are easy and don’t cost a lot of money. There are also organizations that will assess your home for safety and do minor home modifications. These programs can assist with issues like grab bar installation or building a wheelchair ramp:
Jewish Family Service Fix-it Service 8804 Balboa Ave San Diego, CA 92123 (858) 637-3354
Rebuilding Together San Diego 2013 Franklin Ave San Diego, CA 92113 (619) 231-7873
Get MOVING: Enjoy San Diego’s year-long summer with a splash in the pool! Warm water excersie can help you develop range of motion and build muscle –essential for decreasing falls. Consult your physician before starting an aquatic exercise routine, grab a swim buddy and contact us to request a free phamplet on warm water exercise and PD.
Caregiver tip: Worried about your loved one falling when no one is around to help? A medical alert system can notify responders of a fall and give you peace of mind.