“Living Well with Parkinson’s 2012″ Symposium
A Symposium for Patients, Families and Health Care Providers
Registration for this event is closed, however you may register at the door from 8:30 – 9:00 am.
Cost is $20.00 for Individuals, and $35.00 for Couples
Thursday, May 17, 2012
1895 Camino del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108
The Marion Brodie “Living Well with Parkinson’s 2012″ Spring Symposium is an educational event for the Parkinson’s community. The event includes a continental breakfast, health fair, program syllabus, lunch, and presentations from local Parkinson’s experts on the following topics:
- Latest Advances in Parkinson’s Medication
- Potential of Adult Pluripotent Stem Cell Therapies
- The Holistic Approach to Parkinson’s
- Panel Questions & Answers
- Strategies for Dealing with Parkinson’s Dementia
- Benefits of Dance for Parkinson’s
- Tai Chi and Chair Yoga for Parkinson’s
- Caregiving: Handling Difficult Behaviors
- Minds in Motion: An Integrative Goal-Oriented Program to Take Control of Parkinson’s
Program Agenda – Sponsorship Opportunities – Online Registration
Directions and Parking – Registraion – Continuing Education Credit
Directions: From I-5 or Highway 163: Take I-8 east, exit at Mission Center Road, turn right off the exit then make an immediate left onto Camino del Rio South (moving east) approximately 1/2 mile. The Scottish Rite Conference Center will be on the right hand side.
From I-805 or I-15: Take I-8 west 1/4 mile to the Mission Center Road exit. At the light at the end of the exit, turn left and proceed to the next light (Mission Center Rd./Auto Circle), turn left onto the bridge over the freeway. Go to the end of the bridge and turn left onto Camino del Rio South (moving east) approximately 1/2 mile. The Scottish Rite Conference Center will be on the right hand side.
From Interstate 8: Moving west from East County, drive into the Mission Valley area, exit at Texas Street. At the end of the exit, stay on Texas Street until just over the freeway bridge, turn right onto Camino del Rio south, proceed 1/4 mile. The Scottish Rite Conference Center will be on the left hand side.
Parking: Parking at the Scottish Rite Conference Center is free. Assistance will be available at the curb of the facility entrance. The facility is wheelchair accessible.
Registration: The registration fee is $15 per individual or $25 per couple if registration is completed by May 13th. Fees will increase to $20 per individual and $35 per couple on May 14th. Fees for 4 hours of CEUs will be an additional $10 per person. Registration includes light continental breakfast, boxed lunch, program syllabus and community resource tables.
Continuing Education: This program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider No. CEP3968 for 4 contact hours. This course meets the qualifications for 4 hours of continuing education for MFCCs, MSWs and LCSWs, approval No. PCE229, as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. The above units are provided by Southern Regional Resource Center, dba Southern Caregiver Resource Center.
- Review the latest Parkinson’s medications and treatment options, as well as upcoming therapies, including new delivery systems for current medication and advancements in Deep Brain Stimulation surgery.
- Review research in the Parkinson’s field and the impact present research has on future treatments and prevention.
- Describe research in the area of exercise. Explain the benefits of different forms of exercise to both motor and cognitive capabilities.
- Explore options for physical exercise, including dance, tai chi, and chair yoga.
- Learn coping tools and techniques for caregivers to use when dealing with patients with difficult or combative behavior.
- Explain the differences between Parkinson’s dementia and other forms of dementia (such as Alzheimer’s.) Review techniques and exercises to assist in living day to day with Parkinson’s dementia.
Program Agenda – Sponsorship Opportunities
View Previous Symposia Presentations and Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Call (858) 273-6763 or toll-free at (877) 737-7576, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the APDA Information & Referral Video Library to request our DVDs. Click here to subscribe to our free newsletter if you would like to be notified about our next symposium.